SFC distances itself from actions of robbery

Man Jose Kayima

The Special Forces Command has distanced itself from the actions of two soldiers who were apprehended by the police on charges of alleged kidnapping and robbery.

Police arrested four individuals, including two SFC soldiers, on Tuesday after intercepting the vehicle they were traveling in.

On October 31, a laboratory technician named Bony Mfitemukiza, aged 25, reported a case of aggravated robbery to the police. He was kidnapped from the Africa Oil petrol station in Bulenga by three armed men on October 31. The assailants, armed with a pistol and a rifle, forcibly took him into his Toyota Noah vehicle (registration number UBK 464S) at gunpoint, robbed him of Shs14 million, and drove him to Katabi forest. There, they again threatened him at gunpoint, confiscated his phone and ATM card.

Subsequently, the kidnappers transported the victim to a mobile money point, withdrew money from his phone, and left him in Bwebajja trading center around 8 pm.

The pursuit of the suspects persisted until Tuesday, November 7, when the police intercepted the vehicle at Golf Course traffic lights. Upon arrest, another victim named Gerald Kyazze was discovered in the trunk of the vehicle, handcuffed after being kidnapped from Nansana.

As a result, Private Felix Twinomuhangi, 27, an SFC soldier attached to Mityana Military barracks, and Private Reagan Opio, an SFC soldier attached to Joma SFC detach, were arrested. The other two individuals arrested were Andrew Ssevume, 22, a student, and George Byaruhanga, 28, a businessman in Wakiso town.

However, in a statement issued on Saturday, SFC spokesperson Maj Jimmy Omara confirmed that the two soldiers are affiliated with the Special Forces Command but condemned their actions. He emphasized that their behavior does not reflect the values of the institution but rather the actions of individual wrongdoers.

Maj Omara expressed deep regret over the incident, stating, “This is a very sad and regrettable incident because the suspects who are supposed to protect the lives and property of the said wanainchi turned around and misused their roles for selfish reasons.”

He assured that SFC would ensure a swift legal process for the victim to obtain justice. Maj Omara acknowledged the isolated nature of the incident, emphasizing that it does not represent the overall image of SFC. He also conveyed sympathy to the victim and pledged outreach at an appropriate time.

The SFC spokesperson confirmed that the two implicated officers would soon face charges before the General Court Martial. He commended the police for their collaboration throughout the arrest and investigation, aiming to ensure justice for the victim

Related Posts

1 of 223

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *